Preventive Care & Cleaning : Exams
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your dentist if you are a new patient to the practice. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for the detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions in the oral cavity.
- Oral Cancer Screening: Check the face, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum Disease Evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of Tooth Decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of Existing Restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, veneers, etc.
- Occlusal or Bite Examination: Screen for wear, cracks, loose teeth, and other issues related to the way the teeth mesh together.